2007年8月24日金曜日

A Different Story

(This picture sums up nearly all of these words)

So, as I mentioned in my previous post, what my job actually entails in the month of August is a bit of a mystery. I literally spend the day on facebook, checking email, trying to make plans for the weekend, and facebook. August is the unofficial holiday time and so far no one has really spelled it out to me what they expect of me at work. what is worse is that my computer is easily visible for most people who walk through the office, so they can see that I am busy... looking at pictures etc etc. I don't sign in* in the mornings, or out in the afternoons. I usually come in at 7:50 and leave at 3, but technically my contract says I am to be here till 4:35 but initially I was told by my BoE (Board of Education) that I should stay till 3 for now. I take random days off without telling them when my BoE has things for me to do like visit elementary schools or go get a keitai (cell phone) and don't know if that applies to my vacation time or not. I get 20 days and I want to make them count.

*by sign I mean stamp my inkan (name seal) in the mysterious blue binder

For extra fun, the day I got enough courage to talk to my kyoto-sensei (vice principal) about taking a day off next week, he thought I should talk to my BoE, when my BoE told me to talk to him. I got the 29th booked off though, only to find out the next day that I have to go to a Branch Office and make an introduction and talk about team teaching with all of the local English teachers. Sigh. I really like my town, and my co-workers, but I really wish that someone would sit me down and lay it out plain and simple. All of the training we get is prefaced with "Remember, every situation is different, but most places..." which is ultimately only medium useful.

But on a lighter note, huzzah! It's the weekend! I am off to Osaka and Himeji to get some nice English conversation on and some culture too. (But by leaving at 1, instead of my contract mandated 11:50, does that counteract my leaving early during the week? oi!)

0 件のコメント: