2008年5月22日木曜日

Domo arigato, Mr. Roboto!

Upon coming to Japan, one thing in particular excited me-- the prospect of seeing robots. Starting with a joke at work, I have grown to secretly love the idea of robots, and in fact, adopted the Japanese mindset concerning them-- the Japanese mindset being of love and acceptance for our robotic friends.

A friend of mine has a theory that if one day the world was taken over by robots, Japan would be spared, because they "get" robots. Hollywood rarely makes a movie about a good friendly robot, rather it's all about evil robots short-circuiting and taking over the world, or robots becoming human and then good. Japan on the other hand welcomes robots gladly. From helping take care of the elderly, to Doraemon (the friendly cartoon robot cat who helps people), to the simple love affair with vending machines (yep, I've seen vending machine underwear), Japan is not afraid of some automated help.

I've been documenting my experiences with robots, (with pure glee, let me assure you) and here is a sampling.


Asimo! The walking, "talking" dancing, running, bowing, handshaking robot. As seen at the Emerging Science Museum in Tokyo.

Robot cell phone! Actually functions as a cell phone, with customizable greetings and retractable arms and legs. I don't think it walks, but it has a special home to rest on so it can be alert and keep you company on lonely nights. Photographed in Shibuya, Tokyo, and I believe now available for purchase.


And lastly, the beer-bot. For the perfect pour every time. Photographed in Kobe, seen everywhere.

0 件のコメント: