2007年12月18日火曜日

Shrimp: The Chicken of the Sea?

Recent evaluations of myself have led me to conclude that it’s time I find some self-motivation. There are a few things on the list, and tonight I tackled the idea of going out for dinner in my town alone. Self-motivation comes into play here because normally I prefer going out for dinner with someone, and not go out on my own.

So, I went to what I assumed to be a restaurant/bar that is literally just down the street from me. I was the only person there aside from an older woman (later to say she was 63) with something of a mannish face, and a younger girl, (maybe 25ish?) in a brown velvet tuxedo shirt (which only looked 1/2 as crazy as it sounds) who were behind the bar. I used my poor Japanese to say that I wanted to eat, which led to some funny looks, that I couldn’t interpret, between the two women, and finally they came to some sort of conclusion and said OK.

The older offered me fried chicken and fried shrimp, and I chose chicken. Here’s what I had for dinner:
-Friend shrimp (maybe 6 decently sized prawns)
-Salad Japanese style (aka shredded cabbage, some lettuce, carrot, and corn)
-Five pieces of sushi, which were given to me as a “presento”

The salad and sushi, I am quite sure, the younger went out to get from the supermarket once I showed up asking for food from, in retrospect, what seems to be largely a karaoke bar with some snacks. The shrimp were battered and freshly made by the older. Salad was nice, but the sushi unfortunately was old supermarket sushi and included fish eggs and squid, which I felt obligated to eat as it was a presento. The ladies were very friendly, despite the fact that I was clearly in the wrong place at the wrong time asking for the wrong things, and invited me to come back.

0 件のコメント: